31 October, 2011

Fantasy Overview

You may be like some friends of mine, interested in fantasy but disconnected from the genre. Or you could simply be on the lookout for new authors. Or maybe you have read far more than I have and are infuriated that I left out some of the most important authors.

Over the following series of posts I will be talking about the genre in some depth, but I won't pretend my list is thorough. It is focused on relatively recent authors of fantasy that I have read. If there are people in this category that I've neglected, mention them; I can always use more names on my list of authors to read.

What I'm not trying to do is list the quality of these authors. Even if I thought I was the ultimate judge of quality, those ratings wouldn't have much to do with how interesting or enjoyable you might find the books. The main thing I hope to do is describe the kind of books each author writes. Hopefully some of them will be of interest to you.

Since there are a lot of authors out there, I'll be breaking them into rough groupings. The plan is to cover another batch of authors every few weeks, in this order:
Classic Fantasy

And we're done. I might update this list as I read more, but it's served its initial purpose so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment